Kevin Pietersen Cricketer Biography and Career Profile
Kevin Pietersen is a 38-year-old former flamboyant English cricketer who is well known throughout the world for his on and off the field exploits. A right-handed batsman and an occasional off spin bowler, this prodigy was born on 27th June 1980 in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa and has a persona like none other. This 6 ft 4 in modern legend has many accolades against his name which made him the darling in the eyes of the cricketing fraternity during his days.
Kevin Pietersen was born on 27th June 1980 in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. He made his debut for Natal in 1997 when he was only 17 years old. His personal details include:
- Birthday: 27th June
- Age: 38 years
- Country: South Africa
- Birth Place: Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
- Height: 6 feet 4 inches
- Weight: 88 kg/ 194 lbs
- Shirt Number: 24
- Zodiac Sign: Cancer
- Relationship Status: married to Jessica Taylor
- Favorite cricketers: Virat Kohli (India), Sachin Tendulkar (India
- Bowling style: Right-arm off break
- Batting: Right Handed
- Instagram: @kp24
- Twitter: @kp24
- Teams: Adelaide Strikers, Afghanistan U19, Afghanistan, Comilla Victorians, Guyana Amazon Warriors, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Quetta Gladiators, Sussex, World XI, Kabul Zwanan
- Cricket Role: Batsman
Kevin Pietersen Career in International Cricket
Kevin Pietersen was a new breath of life and a precocious talent in the cricketing world, bringing such inconceivable skill and swagger back into the gentleman’s game for the first time since the great West Indies legend King Viv. Being born in South Africa, it is safe to say that he lies pretty low in terms of the most loved cricketers in South Africa and has been termed as a traitor by some section of the society as well. Anyways, Pietersen completed his qualification period in England which made him eligible to play for the national side in 2005 and was immediately propelled to the international platform. Performing exceptionally well at such a big stage consistently from the very start and always leading by example, this cricketer only grew in stature. He started his career in the South African cricket circuit, but eventually moved on to the English Cricket system and made a name for himself there. Apart from the English team, he has played in a lot of clubs as well in different nations like Quetta Gladiators in PSL, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Delhi Daredevils and Sunrisers Hyderabad in the IPL and for the Melbourne Stars in the Big Bash league.
- Pietersen became the fastest batsman to reach the milestone of 1,000 ODI and 2,000 runs in One Day matches.
- In March 2007, he climbed to top of ICC ODI rankings and made history by being only the third English batsman to do so.
- He introduced himself to the international stage with immediate effect by amassing second highest number of runs in his first 25 test matches, only behind the legendary Sir Don Bradman.
- The fastest player to amass 4000, 5000 and 7000 test runs in terms of days, further cementing his place as one of the finest of his generation.
These are just some of the achievements that Kevin Pietersen got during his playing days for the National English side. Currently, he is still active in the cricketing world through the means of lucrative leagues of different countries like the Indian Premier League in India and Big Bash League in Australia and can be often found in the news for his eye-opening performances on the field. He is pretty active on social media like Instagram and Twitter and goes by the username @kp24 and @KP24 respectively.
Kevin Pietersen Batting: –
In tests: –
- Matches played: – 104
- Runs Scored: – 8181
- Centuries/Half centuries: – 23/35
- Average: – 47.28
In ODIs: –
- Matches played: – 136
- Runs Scored: – 4440
- Centuries/Half centuries: – 9/25
- Average: – 40.73
Career in PSL: –
Kevin Pietersen officially joined the PSL by signing up with Quetta Gladiators. He scored a match winning knock of 48 for Quetta Gladiators among many others to end the campaign of the team on a high. Due to personal and security reasons, Pietersen was one of the many cricketers who refused to play the tournament because of it being played in Pakistan.
Career in IPL: –
Kevin Pietersen has been a part of the IPL for quite some time and has rendered his service for teams like Delhi Daredevils, Rising Pune Supergiants, Sunrisers Hyderabad and Royal Challengers Bangalore. He has not been at his effective best in the tournament but has sometimes shown some glimpse of his destructive best at some moments. Was one of the most expensive buys in the year 2009 by the Royal Challenger Bangalore. He has scored close to 1000 runs in 35 matches at an average of 37.07, maintaining a strike rate of 134.90 and has scored a century as well.
Career in CPL: –
Kevin Pietersen participated in 2015 and 2015 editions of CPL. He made his CPL debut playing for the St. Lucia Zouks in 2014. But he played only 2 matches as he arrived late.